July 6, 2008

San Francisco treats

While both he kids are at camp...

My summer will begin with a trip to San Francisco with my husband. Wow! I’ve forgotten how much fun it is to spend time together. The city is as magical and fun as I remembered.

We landed and easily caught the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) directly into the city and our stop, the Powell/Market station were steps from our hotel. We stayed at The Palomar, it was wonderful. They have this fantastic wine hour every night. The wine they served were not bad, a Beaujolais from France and others all of them were delicious. I must confess that were had several. The location was supreme. We were centrally located near Union Square, Financial District and most of the best shopping you can imagine. We were also within walking distance to the Embarcadero, Chinatown, and North Beach. I highly recommend the hotel.

We went to SFMOMA, which had a special Frida Kahlo exhibition, it was nice but most the work was shown at the Contemporary Museum in La Jolla a few years ago and was in fact more impressive than this abbreviated show.


My all-time favorite time was our visit to de Young. They had an absolute divine exhibition of Chihuily works. I was awestruck by the sheer quantity and mass of the work.
and I was inspired by the Jane Hammond exhibition in one of the smaller museum galleries. I loved her use of paper and construction.

I can't forget to mention the food, I think my favorite meal was when we gathered ingredients for a lunch at the Ferry Building. We got fresh baked bread, the most delicious, creamiest gouda and handmade sausage sandwich. We ate sitting on a bench on the dock watching the ferry go by.

No comments: